- Jean-Claude Desenclos, Institut de Veille Sanitaire
- Susanna Esposito, University of Milan
- Jorge Garbino, University Hospitals Geneva
- Pak Leung Ho, University of Hong Kong
- Sanjeev Krishna, St. George's, University of London
- Niwat Maneekarn, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University
- Jodie McVernon, Melbourne School of Population Health
- Jason Stout, Duke University
- Sepehr Tabrizi, The Royal Women's Hospital
- Carlo Torti, University 'Magna Graecia'
- Philippa Harris, BioMed Central
Cristina Vazquez-Guillamet and Marin H Kollef review treatment options for Gram-positive infections in critically ill patients and highlight the need for timely and appropriate antibiotic therapy.
Jean-François Timsit and colleagues review the main elements that should be taken into account when treating bloodstream infections in ICU patients, such as the patient's prior antibiotic use and source of the infection.
The need for better diagnostic methods to allow early and effective treatment of ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP), one of the most frequent clinical problems in the ICU, are highlighted by Bárbara Borgatta and Jordi Rello, alongside the need to individualization treatment.
The use of rapid diagnostic techniques in intensive care unit (ICU) patients to detect infections, such as skin and soft tissue- and urinary tract infections, are reviewed by Almudena Burillo and Emilio Bouza.
Senior Hospital Managers think that hand hygiene programmes could be strengthened by taking into account patient interactions with non-clinical, as well as clinical, staff and by senior staff championing and mandating best practice initiatives.
BMC Infectious Diseases 2014, 14:393
BMC Infectious Diseases is an open access, peer-reviewed journal that considers articles on all aspects of the prevention, diagnosis and management of infectious and sexually transmitted diseases in humans, as well as related molecular genetics, pathophysiology, and epidemiology.
BMC Infectious Diseases is part of the BMC series which publishes subject-specific journals focused on the needs of individual research communities across all areas of biology and medicine. We offer an efficient, fair and friendly peer review service, and are committed to publishing all sound science, provided that there is some advance in knowledge presented by the work.
BMC series - open, inclusive and trusted.
BMC series blog
- 20 November 2014
- GP chlamydia testing rates: previously unexplored associations
- 18 November 2014
- Measuring the impact of humanitarian assistance
- 06 November 2014
- Behind the image: Kyle Harrington
Volume 14 Suppl 7 (15 October 2014)
Proceedings of the 10th Edition of the Scientific Days of the National Institute for Infectious Diseases Prof Dr Matei Bals
Bucharest, Romania. 15-17 October 2014
Volume 14 Suppl 6 (19 September 2014)
Research and Commentaries
Volume 14 Suppl 5 (5 September 2014)
Proceedings of the Third Workshop of the HCV Study Group in the Calabria Region: Results from the South Italian Network for Rational Guidelines and International Epidemiology (SINERGIE) Project
Catanzaro, Italy. 4 October 2013