Email updates

Keep up to date with the latest news and content from BMC Medicine and BioMed Central.

Journal App

google play app store
Open Access Commentary

Selecting the right medical student

Sam Leinster

Author Affiliations

Norwich Medical School, University of East Anglia, Norwich NR4 7TJ, UK

BMC Medicine 2013, 11:245  doi:10.1186/1741-7015-11-245

Published: 14 November 2013

Abstract

Medical student selection is an important but difficult task. Three recent papers by McManus et al. in BMC Medicine have re-examined the role of tests of attainment of learning (A’ levels, GCSEs, SQA) and of aptitude (AH5, UKCAT), but on a much larger scale than previously attempted. They conclude that A’ levels are still the best predictor of future success at medical school and beyond. However, A’ levels account for only 65% of the variance in performance that is found. Therefore, more work is needed to establish relevant assessment of the other 35%.

Please see related research articles http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/11/242 webcite, http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/11/243 webcite and http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/11/244 webcite.

Keywords:
Medical School Admission; Predictors of performance; Aptitude testing