Email updates

Keep up to date with the latest news and content from BMC Clinical Pathology and BioMed Central.

Open Access Research article

Increased fatty acid synthase expression in prostate biopsy cores predicts higher Gleason score in radical prostatectomy specimen

Shinsuke Hamada1*, Akio Horiguchi1, Kenji Kuroda1, Keiichi Ito1, Tomohiko Asano1, Kosuke Miyai12 and Keiichi Iwaya12

Author Affiliations

1 Department of Urology, National Defense Medical College, 3-2 Namiki, Tokorozawa-City, Saitama 359-8513, Japan

2 Department of Basic Pathology, National Defense Medical College, Tokorozawa-City, Saitama, Japan

For all author emails, please log on.

BMC Clinical Pathology 2014, 14:3  doi:10.1186/1472-6890-14-3

Published: 14 January 2014

Abstract

Background

Fatty acid synthase (FAS) is highly expressed in various types of cancer, and elevated expression of FAS has been suggested to be a predictor of tumor aggressiveness and poor prognosis. We examined whether FAS expression in prostate biopsy cores could predict the pathological characteristics of radical prostatectomy (RP) specimens.

Methods

Paraffin-embedded prostate biopsy cores, obtained from 102 patients who subsequently underwent RP, were immunostained with polyclonal anti-FAS antibody. The staining intensity was categorized into non-staining, weak, moderate, and strong. Tumors with moderate or strong immunostaining were considered to show high FAS expression, and other tumors were considered to show low FAS expression. The relation between the FAS expression status in biopsy cores and pathological parameters in RP specimens was analyzed.

Results

The FAS expression in the biopsy cores of 64 of the 102 tumors (63%) was high, whereas it was low in the biopsy cores of the other 38 tumors (37%). High FAS expression was significantly associated with Gleason Score (GS) ≥ 7 in RP specimens (p< 0.0001). In multivariable logistic regression analyses, GS ≥7 in biopsy cores (p <0.0001), higher preoperative PSA (p = 0.0194), and high FAS expression (p = 0.0004) were independent predictors of GS ≥ 7 in the RP specimen.

Conclusions

Increased FAS expression in prostate biopsy cores could be a novel parameter for predicting higher GS in RP specimens. The treatment strategy for patients with high FAS expression in prostate biopsy cores should be carefully determined.

Keywords:
Fatty acid synthase; Prostate cancer; Biopsy core; Gleason score