This article is part of the supplement: Selected articles from the XXV National Congress of the Italian Society of Geriatric Surgery
Quality of life and depression in a cohort of female patients with chronic disease
1 Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, Padova University Hospital, Italy, Via Giustiniani n.2, 35126 Padova, Italy
2 Department of Medicine, Padova University Hospital, Italy, Via Giustiniani n.2, 35126 Padova, Italy
3 Legal Medicine Unit, Department of Molecular Medicine, Padova University Hospital, Italy, Via Gabelli n.63, 35121 Padova, Italy
Citation and License
BMC Surgery 2012, 12(Suppl 1):S10 doi:10.1186/1471-2482-12-S1-S10Published: 15 November 2012
Differences in health-related quality of life perception in patients with chronic disease may depend on pre-existing differences in personality profile. The purpose of the study was to investigate in a cohort of female patients with chronic diseases the relationship between the Quality of Life perception and the potential presence of depressive symptoms.
Patients and methods
Female patients with chronic diseases were enrolled in the study. Exclusion criteria were diagnosis of psychopathological condition, treatment with psychoactive substances.
Methodological approach was based on administration of the following test. Short Form health survey SF-36, Symptom Check List SCL-90-R, Satisfaction Profile test (SAT-P) and Beck Depression Inventory-II (BDI-II). The Pearson correlation coefficient was used to evaluate the relationship between depressive symptoms and Quality of life as assessed by psychometric test.
57 patients, aged 52(±3,4), responded to inclusion criteria. 57% of patients had a diagnosis of functional dyspepsia or gastro-oesophageal reflux not complicated, and the remaining 43% musculoskeletal diseases. The statistical analysis showed an inverse correlation between the variable Bodily Pain of the SF-36 and the variable Depression scales of the SCL-90-R.
In a second phase another sample of female patients was enrolled in the study. 64 patients, aged 49(±3,2), responded to inclusion criteria.
Another significant negative correlation was found between the Somatic-Affective factor of the BDI-II and the scale Physical Functioning of the SAT-P.
In female patients with chronic disease depressive symptoms resulted influenced by pain and vice versa. The treatment of depressive symptoms could improve the quality of life of patients.