|Sensitivity, specificity and predictive values of respiratory symptoms and asthma in relation to obstructive spirometric interpretation, taluka Gambat district Khairpur, Sindh, Pakistan|
|Symptoms||Positive predictive value (%)||Negative predictive value (%)||Sensitivity (%)||Specificity (%)|
|Frequent cough 24||40.62||73.88||24.07||85.92|
|Chronic cough 25||53.33||73.56||14.8||94.81|
|Frequent phlegm 26||36.11||73.20||24.07||82.96|
|Chronic phlegm 27||42.10||72.94||14.80||91.85|
|Frequent wheeze 28||34.61||72.39||16.66||87.40|
|Chronic wheeze 29||36.48||72.35||12.96||91.11|
|Shortness of breath grade I 30||32.35||72.25||20.37||82.96|
|Shortness of breath grade II 31||30.00||71.59||11.11||89.62|
|Composite variable for frequent symptoms 32||28.33||71.31||31.48||68.14|
|Composite variable for chronic symptoms 33||32.43||72.36||22.22||81.48|
|Self-reported asthma 34||36.84||72.35||12.96||91.11|
|Physician diagnosed asthma 35||27.27||71.34||5.55||94.07|
24. Frequent cough defined as presence of cough on most days for 3 consecutive months or more during the year.
25. Chronic cough defined as presence of cough for 3 consecutive months in 2 consecutive years.
26. Frequent phlegm defined as bringing up phlegm on most days of month, for 3 consecutive months or more in a year.
27. Chronic phlegm defined as presence of phlegm for 3 consecutive months in 2 consecutive years.
28. Frequent wheezing defined as whistling sound heard on expiration within 2 years.
29. Chronic wheezing defined as whistling sounds heard on expiration more than 2 years.
30. Shortness of breath Grade I defined as shortness of breath, when hurrying on the level or walking up a slight hill.
31. Shortness of breath Grade II defined as: walk slower than people of the same age on the level because of breathlessness or has to stop for breathing when walking at own pace on level.
32. Composite variable for frequent symptoms: Frequent (cough + phlegm + wheeze + shortness of breath).
33. Composite variable for chronic symptoms: Chronic (cough + phlegm + wheeze + shortness of breath).
34. Self-reported asthma defined as respondent ever had asthma.
35. Physician diagnosed asthma defined as asthma confirmed by a doctor.
Abbasi et al.
Abbasi et al. BMC Pulmonary Medicine 2012 12:81 doi:10.1186/1471-2466-12-81