Open Access Research article

Global Rsh-dependent transcription profile of Brucella suis during stringent response unravels adaptation to nutrient starvation and cross-talk with other stress responses

Nabil Hanna123, Safia Ouahrani-Bettache123, Kenneth L Drake4, L Garry Adams5, Stephan Köhler123* and Alessandra Occhialini123*

Author Affiliations

1 Université Montpellier 1, Centre d’études d’agents Pathogènes et Biotechnologies pour la Santé (CPBS), Montpellier, France

2 CNRS, UMR 5236, CPBS, Montpellier, France

3 Université Montpellier 2, CPBS, Montpellier, France

4 Seralogix, Limited Liability Company, Austin, TX, USA

5 Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, USA

For all author emails, please log on.

BMC Genomics 2013, 14:459  doi:10.1186/1471-2164-14-459

Published: 8 July 2013

Additional files

Additional file 1: Table S1:

Up-regulation (grey) and down-regulation (white) of Rsh-dependent genes in the B. suis wild-type, as determined by transcriptome analysis of the stringent response, in comparison to the rsh-mutant.

Format: PDF Size: 58KB Download file

This file can be viewed with: Adobe Acrobat Reader

Open Data

Additional file 2: Figure S1:

Comparison of microarray analysis to real-time PCR revealed 78% of true positives. Fold-change of differentially expressed genes is shown for normalized microarray data and RT-qPCR of 27 ORFs (out of 40 total; see also Figure 2) representing the different functional groups: (A) H- DNA/RNA metabolism; I- Energy metabolism; J- Fatty acid metabolism; K- Nitrogen metabolism; L- Protein metabolism; N- Regulation. (B) O: Stress and adaptation/chaperones/protein folding; P: Sugar metabolism; Q: Transport systems; R: Transposon function; S: Unknown function. Expression of 78% of all chosen ORFs (see also Figure 2) was consistent for both methods, with a fold-change superior to 1.5. For the remaining 22%, the fold-change was inferior to 1.5 or not consistent with microarray analysis. Relative differences of transcription levels between B. suis wild-type and the Δrsh mutant were determined as 2-ΔΔCt values, as described in Methods.

Format: PDF Size: 10KB Download file

This file can be viewed with: Adobe Acrobat Reader

Open Data

Additional file 3: Table S2:

Oligonucleotides used in this study.

Format: PDF Size: 9KB Download file

This file can be viewed with: Adobe Acrobat Reader

Open Data