BioMed Central brings Open Access Africa publishing initiative to West Africa
29 Aug 2011
• Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Ghana, becomes first Foundation Member
• KNUST to host Open Access Africa 2011 conference
BioMed Central the open access publisher recently launched ‘Open Access Africa’, a collection of initiatives designed to increase the output and visibility of scientific research published by African learning institutes. The publisher today announced Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Kumasi, Ghana, as the first African Foundation Member to participate in the free scheme.
KNUST is the only university in Ghana with an open access institutional repository and fully supports open access research, which provides free online access to the full text of research articles. In addition, BioMed Central and KNUST have partnered to host the Open Access Africa 2011 conference, in conjunction with Computer Aid International, from 25-26 October during International Open Access Week.
Now in its second year, Open Access Africa 2011 will discuss the benefits of open access publishing in an African context and explore the possibilities provided to researchers through the facilitation of scientific and medical information flow.
Prof. William O. Ellis, Vice Chancellor of Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), commented: ‘As the premier science and technology university in Ghana we believe that research is more valuable when it is shared. The effective communication of research results is an integral part of the research process. We are privileged and highly honoured to be the first Foundation Member of BioMed Central and look forward to working with them in the future.’
The Vice Chancellor added: ‘The KNUST community is very special among African universities and embraces the hosting of Open Access Africa 2011. Bringing African scientists and scholars together to discuss the benefits of open access will help advance African research and the careers of these researchers.’
PR Manager, BioMed Central
Tel: +44 (0) 20 3192 2363
Notes to Editors
1. Foundation Membership is a free service from BioMed Central that enables institutions in developing countries to demonstrate their commitment and support for open access publishing and offers a range of benefits for participating Members. Further information about Foundation Membership and BioMed Central's Open Access Package can be obtained from our website. Please visit http://www.biomedcentral.com/developingcountries/libraries
2. Details of last year’s Open Access Africa 2010, including videos of the presentations, are available here:
The programme and logistical information for the 2011 Open Access Africa event will be announced shortly.
The conference is free to attend but registration is necessary. For more information please visit http://www.biomedcentral.com/developingcountries/events/openaccessafrica
3. To support researchers in developing countries, BioMed Central operates a waiver scheme that enables authors to publish their research in a BioMed Central journal without incurring the usual article-processing charge. An automatic waiver is provided to authors based in any country which is classified by the World Bank as Low-income or Lower-middle-income, and which has a gross domestic product of less than 200 billion US dollars (based on the latest World Bank figures). To obtain a list of the countries covered by the waiver fund please visit http://www.biomedcentral.com/info/authors/oawaiverfund/
4. For further information about BioMed Central’s developing world initiatives and to register for our bi-monthly newsletter please visit http://www.biomedcentral.com/developingcountries/
5. Computer Aid International is a registered UK charity that aims to reduce poverty through practical ICT solutions. Computer Aid provides high quality, professionally refurbished computers for reuse in education, health, agriculture and not-for-profit organisations in developing countries. For more information please visit http://www.computeraid.org/