Guest editors: Dr. Gretchen Birbeck, Dr. Virginia Bond, Dr. Valerie Earnshaw, Mr. Musah Lumumba El-Nasoor
In this collection, BMC Medicine presents a series of articles on stigma research and global health that cut across sectors and fields with the goal of breaking down silos and improving our understanding of the role stigma plays in several disease areas, including HIV, TB, mental health disorders, cancer, substance abuse, leprosy, and neurological diseases. This collection includes expert Commentary and Opinion articles, as well as systematic reviews, all with the overarching goals to:
- Articulate specific research gaps and opportunities that reflect evolving global disease burdens, scientific advances and social/cultural dynamics
- Inform funders regarding key priorities for research
- Catalyze new scientific cross-cutting approaches in health-related stigma research
- Spur new research collaborations between scientific disciplines
- Make stigma research more accessible to non-stigma experts to facilitate greater understanding of the health impacts of stigma and health outcomes of effective stigma reduction interventions
This BMC Medicine collection was developed in partnership with the Fogarty International Center, National Institute of Health (NIH), United States, and draws upon a 2017 workshop on stigma research and global health organized by the Center. Open access to all accepted articles was funded by the Fogarty International Center.
The responsibility for all final editorial decisions was with the Chief Editor.