BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders is calling for submissions to our Collection titled, Prosthetics and orthotics.
The evolution of prosthetics and orthotics continues to significantly impact our understanding of the challenges faced and overcome by those living with injury, physical impairments or musculoskeletal conditions. Driven by cutting-edge medical technology, engineering, biomechanics, and patient care, both prostheses and orthotic devices share the common goal of restoring mobility, enhancing functionality and enabling individuals to live independently.
This collection encourages submissions that will share the recent breakthroughs and remarkable advancements in prosthetics and orthotics including tailor-made devices that mimic natural movements, respond to neural signals, assist bodily correction, alignment, posture improvement, and movement, all of which serve the users’ anatomy and needs to ensure comfort and functionality.
This collection welcomes submissions on topics including, but not limited to:
- Assessments and evaluation tools for individualized needs
- Design, creation, and customization of prostheses or orthotic devices
- Patient education and rehabilitation – adapting and proper use and care
- Advancements and ongoing research on new technologies, material science, robotics, sensors and manufacturing
- Patient long-term outcomes and effectiveness
- Biomechanics of locomotion, posture and/or functional tasks
- 3D-printing technology
- Surgical fitting methods
- Prevention of prosthetic joint infections
- Functional braces, compression garments, splints
Image credit: seventyfour / stock.adobe.com