In recent years the world has seen a rapid expansion in the development and use of digital technologies. These developments have had a significant impact on the lives of the global population, ranging from the widespread use of mobile phones and the introduction of social media, to 3D printers, robotics and Artificial Intelligence (AI).
Digital technologies also have the potential to benefit the health of the population through the application of novel technologies within a health system. This can be through simple interventions such as the use of smart watches to track activity levels, to the use of 3D printing as a training tool for medical professionals.
This collection is interested in manuscripts that address digital (e-health) interventions and their applications in health care and public health. We are also interested in manuscripts that address the added value of e-health interventions with regard to usual care.
Some topics of interest in this collection include:
- Technology support of essential public health operations
- Public health interventions and disaster risk reduction using mobile technologies
- Serious games and digital storytelling
- Citizens science, participatory surveillance, and crowdsourcing
- Internet of Things/sensors
- Big data modeling and machine learning
- Preparedness and response to emergencies
- The utility and application of technology in public health education
- Application of technology in community engagement
- Infection control and antimicrobial stewardship
- Methodological and technological challenges in the reutilization of routine data
- Methodological and technological challenges in the implementation, transfer, and/or scaling up of e-health
- Case studies of the application of natural language processing to health care and public health
- Studies on the effectiveness and safety of e-health
- Economics of the implementation of e-health – cost-effectiveness, budgetary impact, and opportunity costs
For more information about each participating journal, including article-processing charges, submission guidelines, and the journal scope, click on the relevant journal title above. Manuscripts should be formatted according to our submission guidelines and submitted via the participating journal’s online submission system. In the submission system please make sure the correct collection title is chosen at the 'Additional Information' tab. Please also indicate clearly in the covering letter that the manuscript is to be considered for the collection. After submitting to a participating journal, each article will undergo that journal’s full standard peer review process.
This is an open-ended collection and articles will be accepted for on-going publication.