Journal of Biomedical Semantics is calling for submissions to our Collection on 'Ontologies for Infectious and Immune-Mediated Disease Data Science.'
Infectious and immune-mediated disease (IID) research covers various disparate areas including autoimmune diseases, human inborn errors in immunity, infectious diseases and host-pathogen interactions, immunological studies, epidemiological studies, surveillance, clinical trials, and reagent and diagnostic method development. Rare immunological diseases, such as severe combined immunological deficiencies, remain a significant concern and focus for research. Ontologies and Knowledge Graphs (KG) serve as an ideal tool for integrating such data to support innovations and decision making. Over the last 15 years, the OBO Foundry community has developed multiple immunology and infectious disease ontologies. There is, however, a growing need for better coordination and integration strategies across these and other efforts, as well as improved strategies for identifying gaps in existing domain coverage.
We welcome the submission of research papers, reviews, perspectives focusing on ontologies, knowledge graphs, and their applications related to the following topics, but not limited to:
1. Infectious and immune-mediated disease (IID)
2. Epidemiological surveillance and monitoring
3. Big data-supported therapeutic discovery for IID
4. Immunological data, pathways, and mechanisms
5. Pathogen and host responses
6. FAIR metadata for IID research
7. Pandemic preparedness
8. Strategies or solutions to facilitate ontology reuse, improve IID data integration for AI/ML readiness