Musculoskeletal health is vital for promoting well-being, especially as individuals age. Aiming to address the challenges posed by musculoskeletal disorders arising from aging, trauma, injury, malnutrition, and other factors, BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders invites researchers to contribute to our upcoming Collection on nutrition and musculoskeletal health.
Research in this field has highlighted the significance of metabolic and nutritional factors in the onset and progression of musculoskeletal conditions. This call for papers seeks studies that explore the impact of nutrients, vitamins, minerals, proteins, and fatty acids on bone, muscle, and joint health. Investigating the connection between dietary patterns, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and musculoskeletal disorders is also of interest.
Potential areas of exploration include:
- Role of nutrients and molecular mechanisms: Investigating the contributions and relationships of various nutrients, ranging from macronutrients to micronutrients, to the well-being of bones, joints, and muscles.
- Metabolic influences and bidirectional links: Exploring the intricate interplay between metabolic disorders, such as obesity and diabetes, and their influence on musculoskeletal health. Papers elucidating the bidirectional connections between metabolic pathways and musculoskeletal function are highly encouraged.
- Dietary interventions and efficacy: Presenting novel findings on the efficacy of dietary interventions in preventing, managing, or treating musculoskeletal disorders. This could encompass studies on specific diets, supplements, and personalized nutritional approaches.
- Lifestyle's impact on bone health: Investigating how lifestyle factors, including physical activity, sedentary behavior, and sleep patterns, intersect with nutrition and metabolism to shape musculoskeletal health outcomes.
- Clinical insights and patient outcomes: Sharing clinical investigations that highlight the impact of nutrition and metabolism on patient outcomes, spanning from fracture healing to joint disorders.
- Innovative therapeutic approaches: Research that proposes novel strategies for preventing, managing, or even reversing musculoskeletal diseases through dietary modifications, metabolic modulation, and lifestyle adjustments.
This Collection aligns with key Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). By investigating the intricate relationships between nutrition, metabolism, and musculoskeletal well-being, our Collection directly supports SDG 3: Good Health and Well-being. Moreover, this research also indirectly contributes to SDG 10: Reduced Inequalities by addressing health disparities and promoting equitable access to effective interventions for musculoskeletal health.
Image credit: Chinnapong / Getty Images / iStock