BMC Veterinary Research is calling for submissions to our Collection on Animal welfare, ethics, and one health.
The concept of animal welfare has its origins in organizations with the aim of preventing all forms of cruelty to animals. The subject was developed with considerations of animals used in research, but has since expanded into a wider consideration of overall quality of life for all animals that have contact with humans.
This collection aims to gather insights into a wide range of topics related to animal welfare, behavior and ethics (at all levels i.e., from lab to farm) and one health concept.
We invite submissions of original research articles, study protocols, narrative reviews and opinion articles that investigate all facets of theoretical, basic and applied research on domestic, companion, farm and wild animals, and also laboratory and animals in captivity. Health and welfare have always been part of the same story, therefore, multidisciplinary studies having strong connection between “animal welfare and one health” concept will also be considered for this collection.
Some of the areas of interest include but are not limited to:
- Animal Welfare-All aspects
- Link between animal welfare and animal production
- One health and One welfare concepts
- Assessment of the animal welfare (Innovative approaches and technologies)
- Impact of husbandry, management, housing practices, and transportation
- Studies related to environmental and social enrichment for lab, companion, and farm animals
- Affective state of laboratory animals
- Studies related to emotional wellbeing and cognitive abilities of animals
- Pain perception
- Replacement, Reduction, and Refinement (3Rs)
- Behavioral issues in companion and working/servicing animals
- Studies focusing on ethical issues around the use of animals in research and experimentation
- Studies highlighting cultural and societal implications on animal welfare and behavior
- Studies focusing on impact of changes in climate or land-use on animal habitats
- Ethics, Laws and Policymaking
We hope this collection will stimulate further discussion and research on animal welfare and contribute to the development of more ethical and sustainable practices in animal use and care.
Image credit: Pixabay/Pexels