BMC Veterinary Research is calling for submissions to our Collection on Advances in african swine fever research.
African Swine Fever (ASF) remains a significant concern for the global swine industry, impacting animal health and food security. Yet, recent breakthroughs in research bring hope in the fight against this harmful virus.
Scientists have made impressive progress in understanding ASF, decoding its genomic secrets, and finding effective control methods. Identifying key viral proteins and creating new diagnostic tools has empowered veterinarians and farmers to detect and manage outbreaks more efficiently. Progress in vaccine development also shows promise for proactive prevention rather than reactive containment.
Despite these advances, challenges persist. The virus's ability to mutate and evade traditional controls requires ongoing vigilance. Future research needs to explore the dynamics of ASF transmission, host-pathogen interactions, and the socio-economic factors influencing its spread.
International collaboration is crucial in establishing a united front against ASF. Research is now underway, focusing on refining tools, developing stronger vaccines, and exploring innovative strategies to break the transmission cycle. Addressing socio-economic aspects of swine farming and implementing biosecurity measures will also be crucial in preventing future outbreaks.
With these considerations, this collection aims to be a comprehensive platform for the latest updates in ASF research, knowledge, and innovation. We welcome contributions from both established researchers and emerging experts in the following areas:
- Epidemiology and Surveillance: Papers that explore the current global epidemiological landscape, surveillance methods, and modeling approaches for tracking the spread of ASF.
- Pathogenesis and Immunology: Investigative studies on the molecular and immunological aspects of ASF, offering insights into the disease's mechanisms and potential therapeutic targets.
- Vaccine Development: Research focusing on the development of effective ASF vaccines, including novel approaches and immunization strategies.
- Diagnosis and Detection: Articles presenting innovative diagnostic tools and techniques for the rapid and accurate identification of ASF.
- Wildlife Reservoirs and Interactions: Studies examining the role of wild and feral pigs in ASF transmission, as well as interactions with other susceptible and resistant wildlife species.
- Control and Management: Contributions discussing control strategies, biosecurity measures, and management practices to prevent and control ASF outbreaks.
- Socioeconomic and Policy Aspects: Research exploring the socioeconomic and policy implications of ASF, including its impact on trade, livelihoods, and the global pork industry.
We invite researchers to submit their articles that align with the scope of this collection.
Image credit: lightpoet / stock.adobe.com