The Open Access Publisher
BioMed Central is the world's leading open access publisher and has unparalleled experience launching successful new open access journals and developing existing society journals.
We are proud of the services we offer and the relationships we have built with our partners.
Join our successful portfolio
BioMed Central pioneered the open access publishing model when we launched 60 journals in 2000. The portfolio has steadily grown and we now publish 279 journals across all areas of biology, medicine, and chemistry:
- Over 50 titles are published in partnership with academic societies and scholarly organizations
- Over 150 journals have impact factors or are included in the Journal Citation Report, with another 50 currently under evaluation by Thomson Reuters
Sustainable publishing with open access
The success of open access publishing is not only due to the benefits of accessibility and visibility it gives to authors and journals. Open access has gained the support of governments and research funding bodies across the world because they believe in providing full access to ground-breaking research that can contribute to both the economic growth and the social wellbeing in their countries.
New policies and mandates are being announced regularly as open access grows globally:
- The UK government announced its commitment to free and open access to all publicly funded research.
- The European Commission committed to open access through the Horizon 2020 programme.
- In the US the White House is moving to make federally funded research open to the public.
- In Asia the Chinese Academy of Science led the way in supporting open access, with progress being made by many other key opinion leaders in the region.
- The Australian Research Council and the National Health and Medical Research Council have both recently mandated open access
Choose BioMed Central as your publishing partner
Choosing to publish with BioMed Central ensures that your journal is fully compliant with the new and changing legislation around the world. We offer high levels of support from dedicated journal development editors and experienced marketing teams to ensure that your journal reaches its full potential. We provide a cutting-edge open access publishing platform and can provide full peer review support for your editors to enable a fast and efficient service to authors.
Many journals have already benefitted from a smooth transition into the BioMed Central portfolio and we would welcome the opportunity to talk to you about your society or organisation’s publishing needs.
Our publishing team looks forward to hearing from you.
If you wish to propose a new open access journal or discuss the transfer of an already existing title.