What are article metrics?
Article metrics provide information on the usage and dissemination of published articles. Examples include:
- Article accesses
- Bookmarking/rating/discussion via bibliographic tools/sites such as Papers
- Social media sharing, such as Facebook, Twitter
Article metrics are provided for all articles published by BioMed Central, to help readers assess the importance and impact of these articles.
What article metrics does BioMed Central provide?
The following metrics are currently available:
- Access counts – the number of times an article has been accessed on BioMed Central and SpringerLink. Our access counts are COUNTER-compliant. More information
- Citation counts – our citations database is updated in real time. New citations are added as soon as they become available in the CrossRef database. More information
- Altmetric.com – Altmetric.com tracks the discussion and dissemination of articles following their publication. It aggregates the mentions on Twitter and social media sites, and coverage in online reference managers, mainstream news sources and blogs, to present an overview of the interest a published article is receiving online. More information
How does BioMed Central ensure article metrics are reliable?
We monitor and filter article access data to remove 'suspicious' accesses that may distort access statistics. Our access counts are COUNTER-compliant. More information