Search information pages
5. Are any taxes included in this charge?
No taxes are included in this charge. Authors resident in any European Union country have to add Value-Added Tax (VAT). Submissions from EU countries are subject to VAT at the UK rate of 20%. (Please note from 1 January 2015 this rate will change to the rate applicable in your country. Read more here.) Institutions paying the fee on behalf of the author can in most cases have the VAT refunded, or by providing BMC International Health and Human Rights with their VAT registration number*, avoid paying VAT altogether.
- Why do BioMed Central journals have article-processing charges?
- What do the article-processing charges pay for?
- How much is BMC International Health and Human Rights charging?
- Does BioMed Central offer discounts on article-processing charges?
- Are any taxes included in this charge?
- To which articles will this charge apply?
- Why a flat charge rather than one based on page numbers?
- Who is responsible for making the payment?
- Which funding agencies explicitly allow direct use of their grants to cover article-processing charges?
- How do I pay?
- Can charges be waived if the author cannot pay?
- Will I have to pay if my institution is a Member?
- Will the APC rate I am given at submission change?
- Do authors from low-income countries have to pay APCs?