8. Do BioMed Central journals have Impact Factors and are they citation tracked?
Yes; for any journal to have an Impact Factor, however, it must be tracked by Thomson Reuters (ISI) for three years. Although many BioMed Central journals are tracked by Thomson Reuters, others are still relatively new. The tables below show those journals that are already tracked by Thomson Reuters (ISI) and so already have Impact Factors, and journals that are due Impact Factors for which we have calculated their unofficial Impact Factors. Note that in several cases the figures are artificially low, as they are based on a single year of citation data rather than the usual two. Thomson Reuters (ISI) is currently considering additional BioMed Central journals for tracking.
- Journals with Impact Factors
- Journals being tracked by Thomson Reuters
- Unofficial Impact Factors for other BioMed Central journals
- SCImago journal ranking
Journals with Impact Factors
Journals currently covered by Thomson Reuters (ISI)
|Journal||Impact Factor due||Unofficial
|Allergy, Asthma & Clinical Immunology||TBC||3.03|
|BioData Mining||June 2014||1.76|
|Biology of Sex Differences||June 2017||4.30|
|BMC Ecology||June 2015||1.87|
|BMC Medical Imaging||June 2014||1.98|
|BMC Palliative Care||June 2014||1.68|
|BMC Pharmacology and Toxicology||June 2015||3.15|
|Chinese Medicine||June 2014||2.63|
|Human Genomics||June 2015||3.32|
|Immunity & Ageing||June 2014||1.79|
|Infectious Agents and Cancer||June 2014||1.94|
|Israel Journal of Health Policy Research||June 2014||N/A|
|Journal of Animal Science and Biotechnology||TBC||N/A|
|Journal of Biological Engineering||TBC||3.91|
|Journal of Nanobiotechnology||June 2014||3.87|
|Mobile DNA||June 2014||N/A|
|Molecular Autism||June 2014||5.78|
|Tobacco Induced Diseases||June 2014||N/A|
Unofficial Impact Factors* for other BioMed Central journals
* Unofficial Impact Factors
For journals that have not been tracked for long enough to have an Impact Factor, or are not yet tracked by Thomson Reuters (ISI), it is nonetheless possible to calculate an unofficial Impact Factor, which we have done for some journals.
Unofficial 2012 Impact Factors were established by dividing the number of times articles published in 2010 and 2011 were cited in 2012, based on a search of the Science Citation Index database, by the number of articles published during that period.
The SCImago Journal Rank (SJR) is a free alternative journal citation-metric based on citation information from Scopus. All BioMed Central journals are included in Scopus within a year of launch, and so the SJR rankings provide a more comprehensive picture of the impact of BioMed Central's journals than the Thomson Reuters Journal Citation Reports. For more information about SCImago, and the SCImago rankings of specific BioMed Central journals see this BioMed Central blog post.
The table below shows a selection of BioMed Central journals and their SJR ranking, for SJR data on other BioMed Central journals, look up the journal on the SCImago website.
|2010 SJR Rank
(out of 17,124)
|311||Neural Development||1.125||1st of 14 in Development Neuroscience|
|291||Breast Cancer Research||1.102|
|BMC Medical Genomics||0.858|
|Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases||0.74||1 of 114 in Pharmacology (medical)|
|284||Retrovirology||0.73||4 of 55 in Virology; 4 of 103 in Infectious Diseases|
|Journal of Neuroinflammation||0.72||1 of 46 in Neurology|
|526||BMC Developmental Biology||0.715|
|BMC Systems Biology||0.696||2 of 87 in Modeling and Simulation|
|BioData Mining||0.236||1 of 70 in Computational Mathematics|
|Source Code for Biology and Medicine||0.383||1 of 34 of Health Informatics; 1 of 43 of Information Systems and Mangement|
|570||Molecular Pain||0.656||1 of 104 in Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine|
|Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance||0.656||1 of 32 of Radiological and Ultrasound Technology|
|International Journal of Health Geographics||0.165||1 of 182 of Business, Management and Accounting (misc)|
|Globalization and Health||0.447||1 of 121 of Health Policy|
|Critical Care||0.39||1 of 57 in Critical Care and Intensive Care Medicine|
|BMC Medical Ethics||0.12||1 of 10 in Issues, Ethics and Legal Aspects|
- What is the relationship between BioMed Central, PubMed Central and PubMed?
- Why publish in a BioMed Central journal?
- How is continued open access availability of my articles guaranteed?
- Are BioMed Central's journals peer-reviewed and what is their copyright policy?
- What is BioMed Central's editorial structure?
- Is BioMed Central a pre-print server?
- How can one cite articles published online in BioMed Central journals?
- Do BioMed Central journals have Impact Factors and are they citation tracked?
- Are BioMed Central articles included in PubMed and other bibliographic databases?
- What journals does BioMed Central publish and what sorts of papers do they contain?
- What does it cost to publish in a BioMed Central journal?
- How does BioMed Central make money?
- Are articles published in BioMed Central journals available in printed form?
- How can users find the most relevant articles and the most important articles published in BioMed Central journals?
- Are all articles published by BioMed Central journals open access?
- How can I ensure that I receive BioMed Central's emails?
- Does BioMed Central support access from mobile devices?