Copyright and licensing agreement (for articles that are not immediately open access)
All research articles published in BioMed Central’s journals are open access immediately upon publication, and in most BioMed Central journals all articles, including other article types such as Reviews and Commentaries, are immediately open access and available under the Creative Commons Attribution license. A small number of journals have additional subscription-based content. While all research articles as well as other articles are open access in these journals, they also have value-added content such as specially commissioned reviews and commentaries that are only available to subscribers. For this additional subscription content the conditions outlined below apply. The full legal copyright agreement is available on the ‘About this journal’ page of the relevant journal website; please print out and sign a copy of the full copyright agreement and return it to the editorial team who are dealing with your article. Below follows a re-cap of the main points of the licence.
- The copyright is assigned to BioMed Central Ltd.
- BioMed Central has the exclusive right to publish, translate, make summaries and other derivatives, and license others.
- Authors may at any time:
- reproduce the article in a book or thesis
- use the article for teaching
- put a copy on their web site, as long as they include a link to the original article on the publisher's site
- re-use figures and tables in other publications
- they are the authors and copyright owners and have the authority to assign the copyright to BioMed Central
- they have permission from the copyright owners if the article includes material provided by others or reproduced from elsewhere
- anything presented as fact is true and accurate
- there is nothing illegal (for example, libellous or defamatory) or confidential in the article