On this page
- What does APC stand for and what are they for?
- How much are your APCs and what do they cover?
- Can I request a discount for my submission?
- Can I have a discount for a shorter manuscript?
- Is my institution is a BioMed Central Member?
- Can I request an institutional discount based on a co-author’s affiliation?
APC stands for article-processing charge. As you may be aware, publishing open access is not without costs. BioMed Central defrays those costs from APCs, because it does not have subscription charges for its content, believing instead that immediate, world-wide, barrier-free, open access to the full text of articles is in the best interests of the scientific community.
For more information, please visit our APC FAQ.
Our article-processing charges vary by journal and, in some instances, by article type. These charges relate to any individual article accepted in-principle for publication; there is no charge just to submit.
The APC includes an unlimited (unless otherwise required by the journal, which can be checked in its Submission Guidelines) number of words, photos, graphs and tables and is a flat charge; no additional costs are incurred, for example, by the inclusion of colour figures or a longer manuscript.
For more information, please visit our publication costs and funding pages.
You will be able to request a discount at the "APC Agreement" stage of the submission process.
You will be able to either:
- Agree to pay the full amount of Article-processing Charge (APC)
- Request a waiver
- Indicate the name of the institution you are affiliated to in order to request an institutional discount (depending on the institution's membership type and its own internal criteria)
If you submit a request for a waiver or institutional discount, you will receive an email informing you that your request has been received and that the submission cannot be completed until we make a decision. You are not required to respond anything to this email.
We aim to make a decision on your discount request within two working days. Once that decision is made, you will be contacted by email to complete your submission.
Article-processing charges are the same regardless of the article’s length. As an online publisher the number of words, or the inclusion of figures does not affect the cost of producing an article. While this means that we do not charge extra for longer articles and place no limit on the number of figures, it also means that we cannot offer discounts for shorter pieces.
More information about our APCs can be found here.