Comparison of performance of predicting severe asthma exacerbation with different methods. Y-axis: AUC; X-axis: the number of SNPs used in a model. "Random SNPs": SNPs are chosen randomly from all SNPs and used as input variables to predict asthma exacerbations, and this process has been iterated 10 times [see Methods for details]; "Permuted": asthma exacerbation is permuted across samples while clinical traits and SNPs are kept with the samples, and this process has been iterated 10 times [see Methods for details]; "Training": the AUC of the model trained and built with all the Stage 1 samples predicting on the same samples; "Internal cross-validation": the AUC of the model built with 90% of the randomly selected Stage 1 samples predicting on the rest (10%) of the Stage 1 samples; "Independent replication": the AUC of the model built with all the Stage 1 samples predicting on all the Stage 2 samples.
Xu et al. BMC Medical Genetics 2011 12:90 doi:10.1186/1471-2350-12-90